If you’re going to visit Barcelona and you’re on a budget, this post is for you: here you have 6 tips to make your trip to Barcelona cheaper.
1. Get to Barcelona from the Airport: From the airport to the city centre can easily get with public transport without needing to take the airport shuttle bus. With the bus 46 coming out of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 you can reach Plaza España in 20 minutes and from there you can move around the city quickly. Another alternative is the train from Terminal 2 that goes directly to Plaza Catalunya, in the centre of Barcelona.
2. Public Transport: To Visit Barcelona the best way is to move around with public transport. You can buy a T10 travelcard, equivalent to 10 trips, rather than go buy the tickets separately. You’ll save more than 50%. In addition, with a T10 travelcard, you change your transportation without having to buy another ticket, while with the “single ticket” you can only make one trip by bus, metro or tram.
3. Free Museums: The first Sunday of each month some museums in Barcelona offer free admission. The schedule time of free admission is from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., and you can visit museums in full, except for some temporary exhibitions. This could be a very good opportunity if you are visiting Barcelona. Here you can find some of the museums that are free on Sundays:
- Barcelona History Museum in Plaça del Rei
- Picasso Museum in C/ Montcada, 15-23
- Barcelona Maritime Museum in Avenida Drassanes
- Design Hub Barcelona, the Design Museum which consists of two museums:
- Museum of Decorative Arts at the Royal Palace of Pedralbes in Avenida Diagonal, 686
- Clothing and Textile Museum in Palau Marquès of Llió in C/ Moncada, 12
- Natural Science Museum of Barcelona in Passeig Picasso
- Botanical Garden in Doctor Font i Quer, 2, on Montjuic mountain
4. Free Activities: Each week there are many free activities in Barcelona: exhibitions, concerts, theatre shows, street activities, conferences and seminars, and more … These activities vary from week to week, so we recommend you to report before travelling to visit Barcelona by checking this website: www.forfree.cat.
5. Where to eat: avoid dine in crowded tourist areas, especially in the Ramblas, where everything is much more expensive. Just move a little to find much more convenient places especially with regard to drinking. Neighbourhoods like Graçia and El Borne offer alternatives with a much better quality-price ratio than Las Ramblas or Plaza Catalunya.
6. When to go: The best time for a cheap visit to Barcelona is the month of November. This is the time of year when there are fewer tourists (however this is relative, there are always many tourists in Barcelona, do not expect to be the only one!) and Hotels in Barcelona in this period are often cheaper than during the rest of the year. Furthermore, the queues will be less crowded!